In Search of the Common House Sparrow In Attingal

A bird race was conducted in Thiruvananthapuram city on November 15. About 54 people participated in the race and they found 145 species of birds. In a report about the event, what caught my attention was not what they had found, but what they had not. They could not find a single common house sparrow in and around Thiruvananthapuram. I thought sparrows (“kuruvi” in Malayalam) were in abundance in Attingal. So, I set out to photograph a sparrow in our region and prove the bird-racers wrong.

Unfortunately, after one week of bird watching that prompted many villagers look at me curiously (some of them suspiciously – when they saw me with a camera near the lake where ladies take bath), I could only prove them right. It seems that the common sparrow has deserted us Attingalites too.

However, I photographed some other birds during this unofficial bird race. I am no expert in bird watching – or in photography. Still, I dare to post some of the photos of birds: just in case these birds too follow the sparrow’s way.

Kariyila Kili

Crows

Maina

Ponman (Kingfisher)

Uppan

Irattavalan


Olainjali

Kuyil

Kock (Crane)


Apart from these, I also spotted a parrot, an owl, some pigeons, a few tiny humming birds, and some other unknown birds, but could not take publishable photos. Can you spot a green bird in this photo?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Mr.(so called)Brown..
The photos, which you have posted are interesting..
But Please keep in mind that..when u post pictures..either stay away from giving discription or just give the correct details...

change the woodpeker to kingfisher(ponman)
& valattikili to Olainjali
and kuil...to HHMMMM...i also dont know...
but it is not kuil...we call it Iratta valan.
Brown Country said…
Dear Anonymous

Extremely sorry for the errors and many thanks for the corrections. I have made the corrections that you suggested.

Thanks again
bird droppings said…
Hi Brown Country

The Photogrphs of the Birds are really Wonderful.

We should come up with Such Pics again